Monday 31 March 2014

Japan - day 0

Well, the holiday went off with a flying start! You know, because of the plane...

The morning has gone well so far. Packed the car with my colourful luggage...

And off I went to the airport, through security (no issues with luggage, thankfully), and onto the plane, after spending 50 millions years in Pret A Manger choosing a sandwich. Why do they have to have so many?!?! Cousin Josefin would still be there now (doesn't matter when you're reading this, it'd still be true)!!

Having decided to get out of my comfort zone a bit I made conversation with my seat-neighbour on the flight from Birmingham. He was reading a book by a Japanese author, it was too interesting to not discuss. At the end of the flight he said it was excellent, but that his favourite by the author is IQ84, or something (a series of three books, the third being mediocre compared to the first two, but still good). I asked him if the translations of the books were better than Google Translate. He assured me they were.

I have taken on a new persona, as demonstrated by my personal tradition of a mocha frappucino at Copenhagen Airport.

They appear not to have any cinnamon swirls here, which is a little disappointing, but I did see a Raspberry Cheesecake Muffin that I may have to try. The guy who served me at Starbucks has a great beard, just for info. He couldn't place my accent, asking if I was American, and confessed to being good at figuring out if someone was Scottish or not by their accent but that was about it. I knew from his accent that he was Swedish, but I didn't pursue the matter, as I had already told him I was from England, and admitting to another nationality would inevitably cause awkwardness. I find it easier that way, before they start speaking Danish to me.

Right, I'm off to get that muffin and walk round the airport at a brisk pace for the next hour and a half to burn it off. Because that's how I roll. And don't start blaming me if I make unnecessary purchases while I'm doing it, I'm in an airport for goodness' sake, it doesn't count!! I've already bought a new cover for my ipad...

That's the red thing. It's attached to my ipad so I can't take a proper picture of it.

I want to take pics of everything and everyone, but that mig be a bit weird, and would eat into my muffin- and walking-time. Over and out.

 

2 comments:

  1. I am so pleased you are doing another blog, they are fab :-) Enjoy your muffin x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. He means the author Haruki Murakami - but I think you would like 'Kafka on the shore' more than the books he said - more cats (he's not big on dogs, sorry) and more of a story :-) Drink sake under the cherry blossom for me!

    ReplyDelete