Thursday 29 September 2016

UMCA and Guinness Records

UMCA and Guinness Records


A few people have asked me how I feel about the American cyclist, Amanda Coker, beating Billie Fleming's mileage, so I thought I should share these feelings and thoughts. I think what Amanda is doing is amazing and she is an incredible rider. If she carries on racking up the miles for the rest of her year she will smash the overall (and men's) UMCA record held by Kurt Searvogel and surely set an unbeatable women's record in the process. This is truly astonishing and is a massive boost for women's long distance cycling. I can imagine that there are not many records where the women's beats that of the men's!
As for myself; I will carry on my record attempt for the Guinness record according to my original plan. This may be confusing for some, especially those who have not viewed my video diaries from the beginning of February when I had conversations with Guinness about the guidelines. I will attempt to summarise below.
  • In October 2014 I contacted Guinness to find out whether or not I could make a record attempt and get it ratified by them. They confirmed I could and sent me guidelines that I must ride under.
  • I was made aware of the UMCA ratifying the attempt also, but I decided to go with Guinness as that was the record I wanted and it appeared that I would not get a Guinness record if I went with the UMCA.
  • The guidelines for the two organisations are different in a few significant ways: the Guinness guidelines do not allow drafting behind other riders, and they allow only one bike to be ridden for the entirety of the attempt. This attempt must be done on a standard, commercially available, bicycle and any modifications must be commercially available as well. The UMCA allow unlimited drafting and the attempt can be made on any bike, recumbents (non-faired) and tricycles included.
  • I began my Guinness World Record attempt on 1 Jan 2016 with the impression that anyone who wanted to take on the same record as me would need to go through Guinness.
  • Kurt Searvogel completed a year-long attempt at the beginning of January 2016 that was ratified by the UMCA.
  • To my surprise, and against what I had been told by Guinness, Kurt's attempt with the UMCA was accepted by Guinness and he was given a Guinness World Record.
  • Subsequently, I contacted Guinness to find out what this meant for my record and was told that they would change my guidelines to match that of the UMCA. This was a huge disappointment for me as I had spent in excess of a year planning my attempt with the Guinness guidelines in mind. Had I decided to go with UMCA I would have planned it very differently. I appealed with Guinness who had meetings on the subject and consequently decided that the only fair way was to have two categories - one for UMCA guidelines, and one for Guinness guidelines. This fundamentally means that there are two records.
  • With regards to beating Billie Fleming's record - Billie's record was ratified by neither Guinness nor the UMCA, so it would be difficult to say that she set one or the other. As a result I will be celebrating when I pass her mileage but will consider my record broken when I pass the 50,000 kms that Guinness have set in order to secure their record. 

Of course, it is up to each individual to decide how they see the records and I am in no way suggesting that the whole thing is not a bit of a mess. If, at some point, the records are merged, then I will be happy in the knowledge that I held the record for a few months, and that I achieved everything I set out to achieve - riding over 50,000 kms in a year and in the process inspiring and motivating others to take on their own challenges. 

For me this attempt is so much more than the miles; it's an adventure that I may never experience again, and I will have stories of it to tell for years to come. Not only that but I've made some lifelong friends in the process!

9 comments:

  1. Very dignified and ladylike. There's nothing worse than having the goalposts changed part-way through a championship decider.

    Bonne route! Bon courage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the end if the year you will have the record and done an excellent, unbelievable, fantastic feat. You are an inspiration to me and many now and years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole thing is a mess for sure. If Guinness were going to keep 2 categories why isn't Tommy's record still the Guinness record and Kurt's listed as the UMCA's?

    I'm sorry to say, but I think Guinness will certify Amanda's record, especially if she beats Kurt. Can you imagine the uproar if they didn't? A woman beats a man under the same rules and doesn't get the record? As I said, a mess for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this very gracious explanation :)

    The first thing to say is massive massive congratulations! Very few people, even with the same opportunity, could ever match this achievement -you will forever be recorded in history as one determined, absolute legend!


    I'm only learning of your achievement and reading all this now after seeing you on the bbc news, but have been aware of Amanda's amazing and ongoing efforts on strava for some time.

    The difference in rules is interesting to read but if my wife and I learnt anything this year (cycling only third of your distance from Singpore to Bath) it's how much being far away from home and on very different roads (of varying quality and predictability!) massively challenges not only the speed and mileage anyone can manage per day, but ones determination on maintaining a single focus.

    I wouldn't ever criticize Amanda for repeating the same circuits day after day, but choosing like you have to explore the open roads, right across Europe I believe, needs to be massively recognized and commended. To me it is exploring the world in which we live rather than just going round in circles which seems more significant than any of these rules/other differences.

    Any record you hold, for however long, is huge and incredible... but surely all those different adventures, encounters, sights and frights-that you may have missed had you not sought new horizons- are what cycling can bring more than any other activity and makes it so wonderful for everyone to enjoy.

    Finishing your journey and reflecting on what it was all for, with this record being such a big part of that, don't let anything take away from memories of your most precious and/or challenging experiences and moments of overcoming! These will have formed you and allowed you to touch others, and perhaps this year may be as much about that as getting you name in the record books <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think what you are doing is fantastic. I have always been in awe of the way the old records were set. On the open roads, through winter and unpredictable road conditions. No matter what. Doing the same is a huge accomplishment.

    That said I do have to admit that I think both records will and should be merged, otherwise the Guinness record will become completely irrelevant. The Guinness rules are oddly restrictive and unreasonable and so people will ignore it entirely. If Guinness wants to stay legitimate as a record book they have to work with the governing bodies of the sports themselves, which is in this case the UMCA. The beauty of this record is in it's simplicity. How far can someone ride in a year period. That's all people really want to know. Most cyclists have multiple bikes and spend a lot of time drafting so it makes little sense to most riders to have that restricted.

    I still believe that Tommy Godwin and Billie Flemming are two of the greatest athletes to ever live and anyone who matches their mileage under similar conditions is a superstar in my book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like Guinness has decided to recognize just one record after all, and Amanda Coker is now the sole record holder They took both your and Kurt Searvogel's records down from their website

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walkers and walker accessories, such as Tri Walker, Walking sticks, and walking frame, are incredibly useful rehabilitation tools. Patients who have lost the ability to walk on their own, either temporarily or permanently, can get exercise and slowly strengthen leg muscles for better mobility. Best tri walker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog ! I am impressed with suggestions of author. Driving school in Alexandria

    ReplyDelete
  9. I obtained some useful points through this blog site. taxi Andover Ct

    ReplyDelete