Tuesday 2 June 2015

Inspired by: Hilary McDermott

The next addition to my 'Inspired By' series is my friend Hilary. We met in 2009 at Chalfield Dog Training Club where I returned to teach classes after having worked abroad for a while. Hilary was there with one of her three Cairn Terriers and we hit it off straight away. Hil is one of the most positive, kind and welcoming people I've ever met, and we had a lot in common - training dogs and drinking wine, to name but a couple. One thing we did not have in common was cycling - I didn't even own a bike.

Our friendship grew over the years, through walking dogs together, and drinking wine. We put the world to rights on many occasions, as friends so often do.

Me and Hilary

One day in summer 2011, I was out walking dogs along a canal towpath when I received a telephone call from Hilary.

"Do you want to climb a mountain with me?", she asked.
"Which one?", I asked.
"Kilimanjaro."
"Sure."

I managed to rope my new friend Naomi in as well, and after a year of training and charity fundraising (one of the most soul-destroying things I've ever done), we headed to climb Kilimanjaro in August 2012. You can read more about that in a previous blog. Once we came off the mountain, there was a void in my life - I no longer had a goal to strive for. Hilary suggested I try triathlon, as she was taking part in sprint distance triathlons herself, and I said "OK". The thing with Hilary is, that she has an amazing way of making you feel as though you can achieve anything, and she helps and encourages you every step of the way.

When I first got my road bike, I was terrified of it. Hilary, having done London to Paris and later did Land's End to John O'Groats, came with me out and gave me tips on how to ride it, when to change gear, etc. etc. and we've had some brilliant long, and short, rides together. When I started taking my training to the next level, Hilary was always a source of encouragement, and she really made me believe in myself. We completed the Outlaw Full triathlon as a team with our friend Nicky, where Hilary did the bike leg, and we've competed in sprint triathlons together. We were signed up for the Outlaw again in 2015.

In March 2015, she took part (as usual) in the East Leake sprint tri, and finished 15 mins slower than her previous time. Weather conditions were horrendous, and everyone was suffering, but Hilary was in another world of pain. She'd had problems with her back and a trapped nerve, so she went to the doctor to announce she wanted the operation they'd previously talked about. Two days later she's informed she needs a full hysterectomy because they found a lump on one of her ovaries. When she called me to tell me, her first words were "I'm really sorry, but I can't do the Outlaw this year". As if anyone cared about that...

In true Hilary-style though, once getting over the shock, she sees the situation as an opportunity.

"I won't be allowed to drink alcohol for 6 months, and have to be as healthy as possible, so I'm going to get as fit as I possibly can. I'm relying on you to help me."

Hilary, it'll be my honour.
Me, Hilary and Nicky - Outlaw 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment